Sunday, September 11, 2016

September 10, 2016

Our thanks to the folks at the Black Dog in St. Paul's Lowertown for hosting the Jazz Workshop, at least for the time being. 

Things looked a bit grim at first. Your scribe arrived late due to construction perils and unfamiliar parking, to find only Jack D (trumpet) and Steve M (alto) present, and also discovering that there would be no rhythm section. So I pulled over the (very nice!) piano in the back room at the Black Dog, Bob (trombone) showed up, and we got started. At about 1:00, Wes (tenor) arrived, followed immediately by Annie (vocals) and Carl (trombone).  At about 1:30, Steve and Bob had to head out, but the rest of us enjoyed ourselves until 2:30.

Unfortunately, when I am on piano rather than sax, I end up playing songs using my Eb Real Book, and have to spend a lot of time transposing chords to concert key before we can play a song. So I tend to forget to write down what we played. I remember we started out with All of Me. We did Blue Monk, For All We Know, Unforgettable, Somebody Loves Me, Two Degrees East Three Degrees West, maybe six or seven others which escape me. 

Anyhow, while we will be meeting at the Black Dog next week, and perhaps for a few more weeks, the situation remains fluid. So stay tuned to this blog.

Participant Picks
(They're all my picks this week)

1 comment:

  1. FYI the workshop will no longer be held at the Black Dog Cafe as of today Sept. 12. We all should help the search for a new location!!!

    ReplyDelete