Thursday, August 25, 2016

August 22, 2016

Another warm summer evening, another good crowd. On hand were Sam (bass and trumpet), Tom (drums), Ray (bass), Phil (piano), Steve M (alto), Jack D (trumpet), Steve H. (soprano and alto), Wes (tenor), Carl (trombone), Annie (vocal) and Dick (vocal).

Sam got us started with Once I Loved (I-311). We next took up Phil’s pick, My Shining Hour. Steve M pulled out another good tune that doesn’t get enough air time, The Touch of Your Lips (III-413). Ray had joined us by this time on bass. Jack D. discovered the nickname of Milt Jackson with Bags’ Groove (II-30). Your truly went back in history a bit for Three Little Words (III-406). Wes pulled us back to the bop era by calling Donna Lee (I-123).

With the arrival of Annie, Carl and Dick, our group was complete, and we got rolling on vocals. Annie requested It Never Entered My Mind (III-205). Dick chose Latin with Corcovado (I-335). Annie changed the mood by calling Put On A Happy Face (III-328). Dick strode along on a swingy version of Don’t Blame Me (I-121). We took an instrumental break with Tom’s pick, a peppy Blue Monk (I-52).

We accomodated Annie again with The Night Has A Thousand Eyes (I-301). Dick chose old reliable In A MellowTone (I-206). Back to Annie, who did a rendition of Let There Be Love (III-236). Dick got one last stab, calling Out Of Nowhere (I-318). We finished up with Annie’s suggestion of It’s DeLovely (III-213), and everyone took a chorus.

Participant Picks

Phil
Bill Evans Trio, The Two Lonely People

Dick
Antonio Carlos Jobim and Shirley Horn, Once I Loved

Steve M
Chet Baker, The Touch Of Your Lips

Annie
Carmen McRae, The Night Has A Thousand Eyes

Ray
Dizzy Gillespie, No More Blues

Carl
Serge Chaloff, Body and Soul

Jack
Miles Davis, So What

Wes
Freddie Hubbard, Birdlike


Steve H
Toots Thielemans (in memoriam), Bluesette


Enjoy.

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment