Friday, January 29, 2016

January 23, 2016

No vocalists could make it for this session, so it was all instrumental. (Actually, Dick had a bad cold, but he stopped by for a little bit. When you're not singing, you have to listen to us, so he didn't last long.) Sam (bass), Gene (drums), Steve M (alto) and Jack D (trumpet) had already played Ornithology by the time Wes (tenor) and I (alto) arrived. Soon after, Jack (trumpet and drums) stopped in, and eventually Birk (drums) and his friend Marcus (acoustic guitar). Last but not least was Bronco (bari sax). Jack D requested When I Fall In Love. We moved then to Steve M, who asked for All of You (I-21). Yours truly called Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (I-43). Gene took a pass, and Sam brought out dear old Dear Old Stockholm. Back to one of the Jacks., we played Long Ago and Far Away. Steve M started us on Darn That Dream, and I found Blue Room (I-53). Gene gave a shout out for Birk's Works, followed by Sam and Tangerine. Wes wanted a favorite, Along Came Betty. People were moving around a lot, and I may have missed some tunes in here. I've got Steve M asking next for Robbin's Nest (II-330). Somebody (I can't read my own handwriting) called All Or Nothing At All. Sam got the next choice, and we played East Of The Sun. Somehow, it got back to me, and I decided on After You've Gone, which is a lot trickier to play than it looks on the page, what with the double-time feel. Again, my legibility fails me, but I think Bronco chose the next song, Call Me. The last tune was at Steve M's behest, Blues For Alice.

Someone else will be taking over the writing as of next week. It's been fun.

Participant Picks (well, my picks):

Charlie Barnet, Skyliner

Artie Shaw, Begin the Beguine

Debbie Duncan, Secret Love

No comments:

Post a Comment