Friday, August 7, 2015

August 3, 2015

The Freedom Jazz Fest is back on!

We play on Saturday, September 19, 1:00pm at Minnehaha Falls.


We began again with two drummers (Gene and Tom) and two sax players (Steves M and H). Wes came in just after we had begun trying to play a few tunes. Steve M began things with Lush Life (I-258). Steve H backed up a page and we tried Lullaby of Birdland (I-256). Wes (tenor) arrived and got set up while we played Lazy River (I-242). Wes had an off-book copy of Green Dolphin Street, which we did in the traditional alternating Latin/Swing. During some banter, I must have said the phrase, “All right, OK,” because Gene thought that a fine idea for a song (I-24). We moved on to Doxy (II-111) as a way of prepping for the Jazz Fest gig.

By now, Carl (trombone) and Annie (vocals) had found some seats; Serdar (guitar) and Dick (vocals) were not far behind. We started the vocal portion with Annie’s requests: first, My Ship, followed by Sophisticated Lady (I-376). Next up was Dick’s call, The Nearness Of You (II-285). Annie picked the trickier-than-it-sounds I Concentrate On You (III-154). We followed that with Dick’s choice, A Sunday Kind Of Love (I-392).  Annie suggested the musicians take a turn, and Carl pulled out Blue Monk (I-52); to our surprise, Dick had vocalese lyrics, which Annie sang.  Time After Time (III-408) was Annie’s next tune; Dick went with one of his favorites, Out Of Nowhere (I-318). We had Serdar take a turn, and he went with Black Orpheus (I-49); Dick joined on vocals, accompanied by the charming visitor Angel and her parents on a shaker egg. We finished up with Annie on vocals on Like Someone In Love (I-243).

Participant Picks
Carl and Annie: Abbey Lincoln, Learning How To Listen

Tom: Herbie Hancok, Watermelon Man (two very different versions)

Annie and Wes: Billy Eckstine, I Apologize

A Sunday Kind of Love (various versions which may or may not prove Wes’ thesis)
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJVL_DDFh8

Steve H: Zoot Sims and Joe Pass, Pennies From Heaven


Enjoy!

--SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment