Sunday, June 20, 2010

Start of the Summer Sessions

Two days before Juneteenth The Jazz Workshop met at McRae Park for the start of the run of summer sessions. These will be on Thursday evenings from 5:30-7:45 through the Labor Day weekend, then the Workshop will revert back to the Saturday schedule. I think I've probably put that in enough posts now!

Often during the summer the turnout is a bit smaller and for this session we had eight musicians: Max (bass), Gene (drums), Annie (vocals), Wes (tenor sax), Luke (flute and soprano sax) and Tim (guitar). Also joining us for the first time were Neil (bass) and Tom (drums).

Songs covered included "Look To The Sky," "Always On My Mind," "Stardust," "Perdido," "I Remember You," "Like a Lover," "Dindi," "The Nearness of You" and "Sunny." A short set list but the Thursday evening sessions are only about two hours of playing time.

I forgot my camera so these photos are from 5/22/10, courtesy of vocalist Matt Ash. At the top is Peter playing baritone sax; next is Gene playing drums- usually he's smiling when he's playing; and at the bottom is Luke on soprano sax.

No comments:

Post a Comment