Sunday, January 17, 2010

Again...

It's hard to write dazzling prose week after week, which is why I don't. I shoot for workmanlike and sometimes get to passable. So, here we go again with another installment of the Jazz Workshop blog. I arrived a bit late and the group was already working through "How Insensitive," so I snapped the photos you see here and got my axe out to jump in.

We started out the instrumental hour with Ira(tenor sax today instead of alto), Steve (trumpet and flugelhorn), Todd (trumpet), Ken (drums), Kevin (guitar) and our youngest participant, Jack (trumpet). Wes (tenor sax) rolled in a few minutes later and then over time were joined by Toria (vocals), Annie (vocals), Dick (vocals), Margo (bass) and Thaddeus (baritone sax). Kevin popped out for a bit to watch his son's basketball game (good priorities there).

The songs du jour included "How Insensitive," "Blue Monk," "My Romance," "Once I Loved," "Jordu,""Autumn Leaves," "I Remember You," "It's Been a Long, Long Time," "The Very Thought of You," "I Cover the Waterfront," "Alfie," "Come Sunday," "By The Time I Get to Phoenix," "Con Alma," "Here's That Rainy Day," "Sugar," "I Should Care," "What Is This Thing Called Love," "Solitude," "I Could Write a Book," "Sandu," "I'll Remember April" and "Just Friends." 23 tunes on a warm (relatively) sunny Saturday afternoon.

In the photos we have (from the top) Ira looking contemplative, most of the lineup during the instrumental hour (Jack, Todd, Kevin, Steve and Ira), Kevin playing what looks like a C7b5, and the view over Ken's shoulder.

So there it is. Next week, it'll be the instrumental hour form noon to 1:00 and then with the vocalists from 1:00 to 3:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment