Saturday, September 12, 2009

Early Autumn

Today was the first Saturday Jazz Workshop of the fall season. We started out the the instrumental hour with Gene (drums), Ira (alto sax) and Tim (guitar). Ira had to leave early, about the same time that the workshoppers had to move to a different room due to a scheduling conflict at the park building. Once we got set up in the other room, we also got together with the vocalists (Annie, Toria, Dick and Sheila) and reinforcements arrived in the form of Steve (trumpet and cornet) and Norman (piano).

Songs played today included "Day by Day," "Early Autumn," "Triste," "Meditation," "At Last," "Try A Little Tenderness," "I Cover the Waterfront," "So What," "The More I See You," "Where Are You," "It's Only a Paper Moon," "If You Never Come To Me" and "Recycling Day," an original by Tim. There were some other songs, too, but the titles escape me.

So, the Jazz Workshop is back in the Saturday groove!

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm Hiroto, visiting student from Japan.
    I arrived here two weeks ago.
    I have played jazz music in my university jazz club activity.
    So I'd like to join your jazz workshop tomorrow.
    Last Sunday I got tenor saxophone.
    I'm afraid my English skill is not good.
    But I hope to have good session.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiroto, sorry I missed your comment until now (late on 9/19/09). I hope you were able to attend and, if not, that you will be able to do so in the future. Don't worry about your English skills (although from your comment I'd guess that you do OK with).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a marvelous time and thank all of you for a your warm and ready welcome!

    Ken Smith

    ps - please let Gene know that I plan bringing my drum kit next week for us to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ken- it was great to have you there and looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete